Monthly Archives: October 2013
Our topic today is your not-so-humble host. But you probably knew that already. Let’s see how much you know about The Arthurator. Will there be prizes? Not so fast, my readers: Concentrate first on getting these right.
1. Arthur was born …
a) In South Boston, Va.
b) Knoxville, Tenn.
c) The planet Krypton
2. Arthur was named after …
a) An uncle who died in World War II
b) The famous dancer
c) A certain boy who pulled a certain sword from a certain stone (or had a watery tart throw a sword at him – your choice)
a) A journalist
b) A professional wrestler
c) A superhero
b) Arthur (Dudley Moore version)
c) Hot Tub Time Machine
b) William & Mary
b) Being laid off at the magazine
a) Ernest Hemingway
b) F. Scott Fitzgerald
1) South Boston, Va. Pay no attention to the small rocket found near Cluster Springs, Va.
2) An uncle who died in the Pacific
3) It’s a trick question: My dad’s ancestors came from Scotland, and my mom’s from England. However, another ancestor, you know her as Pocahontas, was already in the New World.
4) All of the above. It must be noted that while I wanted to be a superhero, I wanted to be a heel wrestler.
5) Much as I love time travel – and I do love time travel – it’s Casablanca.
6) Possibly the toughest question of the quiz. It’s Beaches – the only way to make that movie any worse would have been to have Steven Spielberg direct it, Tom Hanks star in it and put Bohemian Rhapsody in the soundtrack. Yeah, I said it.
7) Futbol (you might call it soccer).
8) Because of some uncertainty over the finances, I didn’t cancel on my safety school until a week before reporting to Chapel Hill. Sorry, UVa. (not that sorry)
9) It’s Samu-El. And I dearly love Karen and Red Ventures, of course.
10) Another trick question. My favorite author is Raymond Chandler. Here are some reasons why:
“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Ana’s that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.”
“There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”
“To say goodbye is to die a little.”
“Dead men are heavier than broken hearts.”
“She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might,if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me.”